Re: Gnome settings hangs orca

    Samuel> Hello, Sam Hartman, le mer. 16 janv. 2019 08:04:33 -0500, a
    Samuel> ecrit:
    >> Orca announces the settings frame, but fails to interact with it.

    Samuel> Does orca announce anything when going around with
    Samuel> shortcuts?  (on my system it does)

    >> Lots of CPU gets consumed and the system generally hangs until I
    >> hit alt-f4 to close the settings frame.

    Samuel> Do you have to do anything after pressing enter in the menu
    Samuel> to trigger that behavior?  (on my system it doesn't trigger)

I wanted to follow up on this.
It appears to be a couple of related things going on:

1) The wifi widget consumes a lot of CPU especially when it is selected.
I don't know if it is this bad without Orca, or if it's generating a lot
of churn in what it is presenting as a document model to at-spi, but
moving around in the list of APs or really doing anything with orca with
the wifi list displayed is multiple-seconds-per-keystroke slow.

2) Since stretch, the UI of the settings panel has been significantly
redone.  It looks like there is a list of possible task areas along the
side.  There doesn't seem to be good keyboard navigation to get into
that list; it doesn't appear to be in the tab order and neither
alt-backtick nor f6 will get you there.
There are cases you can get into where the tab order is blank and tab
does nothing.
I was used to using tab and arrow keys rather than orca review keys for
moving around settings.  That combined with the wifi problem caused me
to think things were hung more than I expected.

It's usable, but it would be great to find some keyboard navigation way
to get into the list of settings areas, and understanding the
accessibility performance of the wifi scan results would be very
helpful.

--Sam