Re: Introduction and using Orca with Debian sound systems

On 3/18/18, Keith Barrett <lists@barrettpianos.co.uk> wrote:

> On 18/03/18 07:15, john doe wrote:
>> Hi James, I'm sending this e-mail through the list in the hope that this
>> nasty bug will be fixed once and for all.
>>
>> On 3/17/2018 5:54 PM, James AUSTIN wrote:
>>> Hi John

>>> Yes, Speakup speaks under the text console (CTRL+ALT+F1 etc). Orca
>>> does not speak under the MATE desktop.

>>> Yes that is my conclusion also. I thought that this particular bug had
>>> been squashed years ago
>> Sadly, this bug is still relevent.

>>> The only way i have managed to achieve is by setting speechd.conf to
>>> use ALSA, but I do not want to have to reset speechd.conf each time I
>>> want to s between the two Screen Readers. Is there a better way?
>>
>> Not that I know of.
> The only way I know is to remove pulseaudio completely, then speakup and
> orca work as expected.
> In my case I set the audio output to libao in
> /etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf and all works for me.

I've seen users have to delete Pulseaudio due to various issues of
incompatibility through the last few years. If anyone decides to try
that option, please make sure that your favorite package manager, e.g.
apt, apt-get, or aptitude, does not try to delete half, if not more,
of your other software packages at the same time. Just make sure that
your favorite package manager confirms that you're only deleting
exactly what you expect to have deleted.

No, I don't know that Pulseaudio will try to delete more than just
itself, but I *have* seen packages try to take out almost the whole
system. I consciously worry about users with disabilities possibly not
catching that particular point more than almost any other thing within
Debian because recovering would be difficult if too many packages ever
did get accidentally deleted..

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey