Re: Introduction and using Orca with Debian sound systems

On 3/17/2018 12:08 PM, James AUSTIN wrote:
Hello

I am currently running Debian Stretch under VirtualBox on Win 10 and will set the same system up on Mac OS. I am quite experienced using the command line, though i am currently a casual Linux user with plans to use it exclusively eventually.  I love the fact that Debian includes both Orca and Speakup out of the box. However, I have encountered a small problem running Orca on a fresh install of Stretch.

I have installed MATE, as i am under the impression that it is currently the most accessible desktop environment. I have modified speechd.conf to use ALSA because Pulse appears not to work with Orca. Now Orca works but Speakup does not.

I am wondering if this is because of my use of a VM? If I had Debian installed on a physical system, might things work differently?

Can anyone offer any advice please?

If you don't start orca is speakup speaking?
It looks like it's the pulse audio bug back again.

Basically, if orca is speaking, speakup won't speak!!! :)

--
John Doe