Re: Introduction and using Orca with Debian sound systems

It's possible to write scripts for both screen readers and do the switch inside those scripts before each screen reader is run.

On Sun, 18 Mar 2018, Keith Barrett wrote:

Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2018 08:33:18
From: Keith Barrett <lists@barrettpianos.co.uk>
To: debian-accessibility@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Introduction and using Orca with Debian sound systems

On 18/03/18 07:15, john doe wrote:
 Hi James, I'm sending this e-mail through the list in the hope that this
 nasty bug will be fixed once and for all.

 On 3/17/2018 5:54 PM, James AUSTIN wrote:
 Hi John

 On 17 Mar 2018, at 14:30, john doe <johndoe65534@mail.com> wrote:

 If you don't start orca is speakup speaking?

 Yes, Speakup speaks under the text console (CTRL+ALT+F1 etc). Orca does
 not speak under the MATE desktop.

 It looks like it's the pulse audio bug back again.

 Yes that is my conclusion also. I thought that this particular bug had
 been squashed years ago
 Sadly, this bug is still relevent.

 Basically, if orca is speaking, speakup won't speak!!! :)

 The only way i have managed to achieve is by setting speechd.conf to use
 ALSA, but I do not want to have to reset speechd.conf each time I want to
 s between the two Screen Readers. Is there a better way?

 Not that I know of.
The only way I know is to remove pulseaudio completely, then speakup and orca work as expected. In my case I set the audio output to libao in /etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf and all works for me.