Re: About Hypra project

Hi,

Le 04/11/2015 15:56, Mario Lang a écrit :
MENGUAL Jean-Philippe <mengualjeanphi@free.fr> writes:

For next month, we will release a full list of features we found in
Jaws, NVDA, ZoomText and SuperNova and not present in Orca and Linux,
so that users could tell us whet should be prioritary to be
developped. On this basis, we'll submit patches to upstream teams in
order to add features, including technical discussions with you about
the good approach (what is for Orca, for at-spi, for the application,
etc). Now we've the basic platform, we can start developping
improvements and submitting them. And we're going to re-open the issue
of packaging some useful tools such as Compiz.
Nice to hear this.  I am looking forward to seeing your comparative
assessment of missing features, and especially looking forward to seeing
Hypra-written patches appear in various upstream repositories.
I hope we'll do quickly.

While reading this, I can not help to notice that this plan only seems
to have new stuff on its plate.  I wonder if you also plan to work on
existing kinks/bugs in the current system.
We work on dev branches. We'll see backporting next, if needed. To fix bug the most upstream possible.

And I truly hope your choice of Compiz is not going to add to the
fragmentation we already have.

We don't invent anything, just some integration.

I have always been a strong proponent of
supporting systems that are used by "everyone else".

So am I. I hope Compiz+MATE will be used by everyone, by default on Debian.

I guess Compiz is
far away from being a "ghetto system", but I still wonder.

It !equests more dynamical action, that we'll do with community.

If it were
that widespread, it would have more support by developers, and probably
wouldn't have fallen out of Debian in the first place.
I am ready to say that if there are not enough resources, it is because a lot of devs follow the mainstream about design, through gnome3 project. Others do their own. We hose to re-create a true gnome alternative, as their design approach is not compatible with accessibility, but gathering devs through dynamic. When I see the bugreport about Compiz ITP, I think /e can hope to have strong activity once launched.

In any case, I wish you all the best for your project.
I am certainly happy that you decided to choose Debian as a base system
for your work on Accessibility.
Thanks Mario.

--

Jean-Philippe MENGUAL