Re: Testing brltty 5.0

On 28 February 2014 16:49, Sebastian Humenda <shumenda@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello Reece,
>
> Reece Dunn schrieb am 28.02.2014, 15:33 +0000:
>>> Thanks for your work.

>>> I've tried to build it and got:

>>> dh_shlibdeps -a -Nbrltty-udeb
>>> dpkg-shlibdeps: error: no dependency information found for /usr/lib/libespeak.so.1 (used by debian/brltty-espeak/lib/brltty/libbrlttyses.so)
>>> dh_shlibdeps: dpkg-shlibdeps -Tdebian/brltty-espeak.substvars debian/brltty-espeak/lib/brltty/libbrlttyses.so returned exit code 2
>>
>>libespeak.so.1 is installed in the multi-arch location (e.g.
>>/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu) on Debian Wheezy and later.
>>
>>Do you have a custom build of espeak that has libespeak.so.1 in /usr/lib?
> Well, there was one, indeed. Thought I would have removed all remainings of
> that. Now it builds. When running however, it doesn't ommit sound with espeak
> and even with brltty -s no, it crashes after a short while.

eSpeak uses an AUDIO makefile variable to configure what sound API to use:

   runtime -- pulseaudio with portaudio fallback
   pulse -- pulseaudio only
   portaudio -- portaudio only

It uses a fixed value of 'runtime' that you need to change by hand
(e.g. a sed rule or patch file).

It may also be that the default device does not provide sound output
(e.g. on my Raspberry Pi I have a USB soundcard on sysdefault). In
this case, the application using eSpeak needs to process the audio
itself instead of delegating to eSpeak as eSpeak does not support a
custom (non-default) audio device name.

HTH,
- Reece H. Dunn