Re: problem with speech in latest debian installer dailies

On Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 11:27 PM, am_dxer@fastmail.fm wrote:
> I tried to install debian testing today using the installer images. I
> grabbed the latest amd64 image and got no speech after I started the
> installation with s and then enter from the boot menu.. I asked someone
> sighted what was going on and they said that there was a bar going back
> and forth at the bottom of the screen like something was loading. I left
> this go for a minute or so and nothing happened. According to them, the
> gui installer worked just fine when I selected that from the menu. I
> also tried a weekly image and got no speech. Can anyone else reproduce
> this?

I have done some more testing this morning. I booted the installer with
a braille display connected. The message showed on the braille display
that brltty was starting and then the display went blank. As a
troubleshooting step, I went to another terminal and killed the espeakup
process. As soon as I returned to the installer on tty 1, braille was
working and a message showed on the display that localization had failed
and that I could press enter to continue which took me to the main menu.
I didn't do an install past this point but when I selected a few menu
items they seemed to load normally. Please let me know if there is any
other information that I can provide that would assist with tracking
this down.