problem with speech in latest debian installer dailies

I tried to install debian testing today using the installer images. I
grabbed the latest amd64 image and got no speech after I started the
installation with s and then enter from the boot menu.. I asked someone
sighted what was going on and they said that there was a bar going back
and forth at the bottom of the screen like something was loading. I left
this go for a minute or so and nothing happened. According to them, the
gui installer worked just fine when I selected that from the menu. I
also tried a weekly image and got no speech. Can anyone else reproduce
this?