Re: links2 with javascript

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 12:56:42AM +0200, Klaus Knopper wrote:
> Hello Samuel,
>
> On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 12:33:47AM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > Klaus Knopper, le Wed 28 Aug 2013 22:44:38 +0200, a écrit :
> > > Doug probably meant elinks in ADRIANE, not links2. I always build elinks
> > > from git with javascript enabled. Works pretty well.
> >
> > Could people then discuss with the elinks maintainers about this? Moritz
> > has written in 2011:
> >
> > “
> >   * Disable support for Spidermonkey. Javascript support has always been
> >     an experimental feature and of limited use (since most websites
> >     which make extensive use of Javascript usually involve further
> >     features not available). Mozilla seems to focus on a standalone
> >     Firefox these days and the libs are treated as second class
> >     citizens.
> > ”
> >
> > If the javascript support in elinks does really provide help, please
> > tell them, to convince them putting back the support.
>
> That makes it sound as if javascript support was already gone in elinks,
> but it isn't. elinks supports javascript by libmozjs that comes with
> mozilla, and it is still working fine, and as far as I can tell, even
> regularly updated. So there is no immediate need for a discussion about
> a missing feature that isn't missing right now.

The libmozjs library undergoes fairly disruptive changes.
Back in 2011 some interfacess in a new upstream release of libmozjs
changed and after some failed debugging I disabled it. From my experience the
support was very limited anyway. I cannot remember a website I use that was
usable with elinks's Javascript some. Sometimes even the contrary; if no
Javascript is available websites fall back to a non-JS version, while with
Javascript the websites fails due to the limited scope of JS support in elinks.

> Some Javascript support in a text browser is practical for websites that
> use javascript for internal presorting of web form options, or focusing
> a specific form element, and other things done on the client side rather
> than on the server side. Using elinks insetad of lynx or links makes
> some otherwise disfunctional or badly written websites accessible for
> blind users, that's the main reason why I include elinks with javascript
> support. But again, there is no reason for discussion about this. It
> just works.
>
> As far as I understand Dougs question, the only thing he wanted to ask
> you was if there is a 64bit version of elinks in Debian(-accessibility),
> or planned as a dedicated amd64 package. Personally, I don't know, since
> I just need the 32bit userspace version and build my own package from
> git. I also sent him the link to my sources.

If elinks from unstable works again with current libmozjs from unstable.
please file a bug against elinks and I'll re-enable JS support in the
next upload.

Cheers,
        Moritz