Re: anybody here using emacspeak in Debian

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:
> I* use it when I can get it installed and set up properly.  Debian is
> the only system in my recent memory where an emacspeak install went
> without problems.  It's because the speech servers first get installed,
> then the install script runs and gets the user to select the speech
> server, then finally the rest of the installation happens.

I am also running debian. I have environment variables set in my ~/.profile
which designate the speech server to use.

Then in my ~/.emacs.d/init.el file I load Emacspeak itself.

The basic steps to any Emacspeak installation are:

First, make sure that the speech server is compiled (if necessary) and
working.

Second, make sure that Emacspeak is loaded when you start Emacs. (You should
also compile emacspeak so that it runs faster, but this isn't strictly
needed).

See the rEADME file and other documentation for details.