Re: At-spi and The future (or non-future) of ia32-libs

Samuel Thibault <sthibault@debian.org> wrote:

> Right. But actually these should not be a problem for the actual matter
> at stake: having a 32bit at-spi library installable on 64bit systems.
> That matter is about whether 32bit applications actually need at-spi at
> all any more. Since libgail-gnome-module is now gone, I believe that
> does not pose problem any more.

That seems to be a reasonable conclusion, yes.

I was also thinking of the larger question, though, of whether AT-SPI 1 and
the packages which depend on it are still usable in a Gnome 3 environment and,
if not, whether they should be removed entirely. They'll have to be migrated
to AT-SPI 2 at some point (upstream, that is) or removed, but I don't know
when that will be necessary.

Obviously, the packages should stay around for as long as they can still be
used. I am not in favour of removing anything that is still useful to someone.