Re: booting the installation squeeze CD or DVD with the GTK installer

Hello,

Nick Gawronski, le Mon 10 Jan 2011 10:42:35 -0700, a écrit :
> Hi, Reading those two documents it sounded like you had to press down errow
> to get to the graphical installer but was not totally clear on this point

Yes: the first item is selected by default, so you need to press down
once to get the the second item.

> so I think there needs to be some improovment in the exact process on how
> to get to the installer from the boot menu as the letter choices are not
> shown in the documentation either.

It's too late for the squeeze release, such fixes will be only in
wheezy.

> Also, the DVD iso image beeped but not the CD iso image or the mini
> GTK image

Where did you get the latter from, exactly?  (All the official builds
should be beeping, but not the weekly/daily test builds).

> and when viewing the menu.cfg file
> with cat it did beep on the DVD image but not on the CD or GTK mini iso
> image.

Which is an indication that the latter are probably just test builds.

> Also, I tried hitting escape and typing installgui and the speakup
> options but nothing worked at all.

That's not the documented way. It happens that it should still be
working, though.

> More keyboard commands need to be added
> to the documentation for the boot menu as I could not follow the directions
> I tried hitting down errow then tab then typing in the commands

By "commands", you mean after typing tab, just type

speakup.synth=apollo

for the apollo synthesizer, right? (without pressing the escape key at
all)

That's exactly what should work. If it doesn't, there's a problem
somewhere, not in what you are doing, but somewhere else, you'll
probably need a pair of eyes to tell us what's happening on the screen.

> rebooted and tried down errow once then tab then space then commands.

No need for the space, it's there already.

> When
> that did not work I tried doing the same but instead using escape and
> typing in everything on one line then the tab stuff.

No, as the documentation says, you need to press tab first to get to the
boot command.

> I noticed that when going into text mode my screen made a clicking
> sound when I pressed escape so that was a helpful signal.

Yes, escape will drop you into the raw syslinux prompt, but that's not a
documented way of doing things, as "installgui" may change in the
future.

Just to make sure: you know that official builds don't have software
speech, only hardware speech is supported, right?