Re: a11y: pulseaudio muted in squeeze by default

Hi.
On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 10:44:15AM +0200, Halim Sahin wrote:
> Hello all,
> I don't if this makes difference to do a clean install etc.
> The problems which kenny has described can be confirmed here.
> 1. default audio is pulse, but not everyone uses it.
> 2. When I install pulse the audiooutput is muted and all alsa apps are
> trying to use alsa as default and will fail alltogether when pulse
> starts.
>
> So we need to do several things for out-of-the-box a11y in debian:
>
> 1. If pulse is installed make sure that it is not muted and provide a
> default asound configuration that the alsa apps can use pulse as
> default.
>
> 2. if pulse isn't installed we should make sure that defauult audio
> output is set to alsa instead pulse for speechd.
>
> These points shows where we are by changing well working setups.
> I don't know if these point can be solved in squeeze but we should try
> it.
> BR.
> halim

Another issue not solved yet is the loss of speech when you upgrade from the 0.6 version in Lenny to the 0.7 version.
At this point, the upgrade will cause the user to loose speech with no easy way to get it back.  That was what caused me
to file the initial bug.  I was running Orca with speech-dispatcher 0.6 configured to start system wide.
The upgrade caused me to loose speech output in Orca.  I was fortunate that I had
speakup installed and running.  That kept me from loosing all access to my system.  Other users might not have the same luck.

          Kenny