Re: Activation of Speech Dispatcher under squeeze

Hi,
On Fr, Sep 24, 2010 at 11:42:47 +0200, Hynek Hanke wrote:
> This is not so easy as just writing audio to roots default
> soundcard. The root would need to know which is the
> proper audio device for the target user, and that is being
> assigned dynamically in Pulse Audio, AFAIK.
>
> I don't think it is Speech Dispatcher's task to, for every
> user, query their current audio device setup, listen for
> fallbacks on sink changes in PA etc. This sounds difficult!

Colin Guthrie from Pulseaudio project wrote this about the prefered
design how things can work nicely togehter:
--
speech-dispatcher itself can do all the necessary work in a system-wide
process but only the speech-dispatcher-agent will actually cause any

Well this approach would avoid running several speech-dispatcher in several
sessions etc. Only the agent which outputs audio needs to change the
sessions from time to time and use the available output
(pulse/alsa/...).
This would provide a11y for _all_ screenreaders without doing difficult
userspace handling.