Re: Activation of Speech Dispatcher under squeeze

Halim Sahin <halim.sahin@freenet.de> wrote:

> One question regarding new speechd left:
> Does debian use now pulseaudio as default soundserver?

So far as I am aware, no. Pulseaudio is intended only for desktop use cases.
Debian is intended for a wider variety of applications, so it's perfectly
possible to install a Debian system without installing Pulseaudio (this
includes an accessible Debian system with either speech or braille, of
course).

The user can choose between Pulse, Jackd or just plain ALSA (which of course
is the default as it requires only kernel modules).
> If not, default audio_out_method needs to be changed to something
> different than pulse.

I agree.