Re: speakup in Debian kernel and installer

Hi. Forgot, you set the default language for espeakup by editing /etc/default/espeakup.
Before espeakup, software speech was handled by speech-dispatcher and an app called speechd-up.  The speech-dispatcher developers are hostile to speakup
use so speechd-up is no longer maintained.  In it's current state, speech-dispatcher no longer works system wide.
At least, I can't get the current release to run system wide or even as a user.  Fortunately, Debian still shipps gnome-speech so
I can still use orca.  If you are running the Lenny speech-dispatcher package, you still can
run speech-dispatcher system wide.  It is only broken starting with version 0.7.

Running speech-dispatcher system wide  along with speechd-up is needed to use software speech with speakup and speech-dispatcher.
There is a speech-dispatcher output module for voxin.  In the distant past, someone wrote a direct connector that would let you run
speakup with voxin without needing speech-dispatcher, but it isn't maintained and I don't even know where you could find the source.
You might ask the voxin folks about it.
Because gnome-speech is very gnome specific, no one has even tried to use it for anything outside of Gnome.

          Kenny