Re: speakup in Debian kernel and installer

Hi.  No, you would add speakup_soft to /etc/modules
You will need to install the espeakup package as well.
This will cause the system to boot up with software speech.  You will need to press keypad enter
when speech starts if your system boots to a gdm login.  If you don't, you will end up with a lot of speech output you might not want to hear.

On my Sid/Squeeze box, the speakup modules are in
/lib/modules/2.6.32-5-686/kernel/drivers/staging/speakup
If your backported kernel doesn't have them, you could probably build them by installing the speakup-source package from Squeeze.

One advantage to speakup for me is cost.  A hardware synth costs 1/10 the price of a braille display.
Speakup will work fine along with brltty as long as the hardware is on different ports.

          Kenny