Re: Make syslinux beep?

(No need to CC me

On Thursday 17 July 2008, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> I do agree it is annoying, but as Sebastien said, it's just about
> installation.  I've asked a few people, they said they wouldn't
> complain if it could help others.

It's annoying for me amongst others. I do huge numbers of installations
and even more boots of the installer during development.

It's also annoying for people using automated testing setups as they'd
have random beeps coming out of their test systems, but I'll let Joey
comment on that.

I could see myself agreeing if you can come up with an implementation that
only includes the beep for official builds (i.e. the addition of the beep
is triggered by something in debian/rules).

We'd also need some assurance that it does not break installs using serial
console and on systems using management devices (like HP's iLO [1]).
This means it needs to be tested for such cases before the change is
committed. Getting it tested would be up to you (accessibility people),
though we can possibly point you to people you could contact for that.

Cheers,
FJP

[1] http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/ilo/