Re: Make syslinux beep?

On Thursday 17 July 2008, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Samuel Thibault, le Thu 19 Jun 2008 11:08:32 +0100, a écrit :
> > It is a bit hard for blind people to know exactly when they can type
> > boot options for the installer.  It would be helpful that syslinux
> > beeps when it is ready to get input.  What do people think about it?
>
> So would people consider it a problem that debian installation CDs make
> a beep at syslinux stage by default?  It's just a matter of adding a ^G
> in the menu title for instance.

IIRC correctly it has been discussed before and was rejected as to
annoying for the normal case. I must say I agree with that.

Especially as there's not that much magic involved in booting from CD:
just waiting for some time and hitting enter should also work. There is
no real difference between "there was no beep" and "I hit enter but
nothing happened". In both cases a disabled person is going to need help
from others to figure out the cause.

Here is one reference, but I think it came up more recently too:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2002/12/msg00323.html

We do use currently use beeps for installs to embedded devices to signal
when systems are ready for login over SSH, but in that case there are a
lot more steps to go through which 1) take longer and 2) may fail (such
as network configuration). And most importantly: those are dedicated
images and thus do not annoy other users.

Cheers,
FJP