Re: Installing Orca from svn under Debian

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 07:09:08PM +1000, Jason White wrote:

> If I try to remove gnome-orca, aptitude wants to remove various other
> Gnome accessibility-related packages.

You could just install at-spi and gail from source, oh and atk, but no
oint, see below.

> Is it possible to have two versions of Orca installed (the svn development
> version and a Debian package) without conflicts, and somehow switch between
> them? If not, what would you recommend as the best setup?

Of course you can, on a linux system you can just point to the exact path
of the binary to run whatever version you want; orca out of svn installs
to a different location than debian.
I don't know where, but you could look it up if you want. Sorry, I'm
about to go to bed...

Anyway solution:

- Keep orca from aptitude installed
- Install from svn, and then simpley run the svn version, all
dependencies for that will be installed since well, orca is already
working.
- apt-get build-dep gnome-orca
before building.

Just use the svn version all the time, its the best and its fairly
stable... No need to use the debian version. If you still want to run
the debian version:
whereis orca
Then just run the exact path to the debian version of orca, where the
svn build is installed to is ahead of debian's version, to see this look
at the variable $PATH...
Also, make sure to keep debian's orca installed is my point.

Cheers,

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/