Re: [orca-list] Installing Debian on the EEE PC

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 03:35:11PM -0400, Erik Heil wrote:
> Was considering purchasing an EEE PC with the goal of installing Sid on
> it.  Went to the Debian Wiki, and I do see that they have a specific
> customized version of Debian for use on it.  However, since the EEE PC
> does not have any serial port, which would be the easiest way to install
> Debian on it?

You would need to check this, but I think it supports PXE in the BIOS, so you
could boot from that if needed. Next, you need a kernel that will recognize
the network hardware, so you can run sshd.

Maybe one of the live Debian-based distributions will work. The key point is
getting a kernel with the necessary drivers.

Debootstrap will create a basic Debian installation on the flash drive for
you. Obviously, you would have to create the file systems manually
first. I haven't used debootstrap, but I'm sure there is documentation
available.

If this can't be done successfully now, it should be possible to make it work
with a little effort.