Re: Extending accessibility support in D-I for Lenny

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 12:14:04AM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:

> However, we understand that the speakup patches have never been properly
> ported to current 2.6 kernels and that there were security issues with
> the speakup patches. That is why speakup support was dropped from the
> installer when we dropped support for 2.4 kernels.

How up to date is this informatin?
Have these issues been taken up on the Speakup mailing list with the
developers?

I haven't used Speakup myself, but it has been around for a long time and is
still an active project. Also, it was mentioned in a recent mailing list post
that Ubuntu provides it by default. Perhaps the version they are using fixes
the issues you're referring to.

I know that Yasr with an Emacspeak speech server does work.