Re: New Gnopernicus in experimental

Milan Zamazal <pdm@freebsoft.org> writes:

>     ML> I just uploaded gnopernicus 0.9.19 to "experimental".  If you
>     ML> are adventerous and have some free time, please give it a whirl
>     ML> and let us know about your results, especially differences to
>     ML> the current version 0.8.4 in unstable.  Is anything broken that
>     ML> worked before?  Does something work now which never worked
>     ML> before?
>
> The version from testing/unstable doesn't speak at all on my computer,

This is strange, I've tried the 0.8.4 packages of Gnopernicus on several
machines and it has always worked for me.  It even ran on the
unofficial AMD64 architecture as a true 64-bit binary.

> while the new version from experimental seems to work well.

That is nice to hear.

> The only problem I've encountered was that it started with a very slow
> speech rate.

I've noticed this problem too and it seems to be fairly reproducable.

> It repaired itself after I tried to select one of the (unavailable)
> FreeTTS voices in the speech preferences dialog, it started to speak
> at normal rate.  After the next Gnopernicus start, the speech rate
> has already been normal.

That is a fairly ugly hack though :-).  I've used the "absolute"
button in the Preferences->Speech->Voices dialog to set the speech
rate to 200, that seemed to work as well.  Does anyone have some
command-line magic handy (gconftool-2 or something) which would
allow to make this fix automatic?  I'd like to put something into
postinst for this.

--
CYa,
  Mario