Changing Word-wrap and Text Attributes in Man Pages

Hi,
I'm not dead certain about Debian as my terminal emulator might alsso affect matters, but I do know that in SunOS it tends to format man-pages kind of annoyingly. It cuts lines mid-word, in stead of moving the word that would be split completely in the next line. How's this in Debian by default, and where would I change a setting like this?

Needless to say I far prefer the style in which it wraps on word-boundaries only, as clipping stuff on mid-word affects the pronounciation in most speech synths. This is especially apparent if using some kind of a continuous screen review mode as in Yasr. Also, speaking of customizability, as it is hard to get at attributes of text in most screen readres, can I change bold, italic, underline and bullets in man pages to more verbal equivalents such as an HTML-like representation? e.g. this is <b> bold </b> text.

PS:
sorry for yet another noob question.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila@mail.student.oulu.fi)
Accessibility, game music, synthesizers and more: