Re: system security, Networking and Speakup

Kenny Hitt wrote:
Just letting anyone install system wide packages is a bad idea.  This
approach is one of the important differences betwene Windows and Unix
I see what you mean. It's true far too many Windows users run as admins, though XP finally includes proper security. As far as I know, OS X is a lot closer to the Unix way which is a good thing. I've heard that at worst, you need to have admin rights to be able to play some games or Windows, or something like that.

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/ut1_report/report_main.html
complaint about Gnome giving users to many choices isn't fixed
because it is the way things are in Linux.
I kinda guessed that. As I said, I like to have as much control over things which I do know and I know what I want. I'm still a bit intimitated by some of the Debian prompts asking something about a thing that is totally alien to me. I guess I'll learn eventually and fortunately the defaults are good.

I like the dialog interface a lot, it is a step to the right direction. I tend to call these things text mode wizards. Just yesterday, I talked with my Linux friend over Skype and we set up an SSH server on my machine. It will only run when I explicitely invoke it but this way my Linux friend can easily troubleshoot the system or get a picture of what's going on in there. Quite nice. We already installed the pre-compiled 2.6 kernel but the problem is that it didn't auto-detect my 3Com Network card at all. How do I get a Debian-style text-mode wizard that will walk me through Network card configuration?

When installing WOody it found the hardware just fine. I told it to use DHCP and not to include any PPPOE client as I've got a Telewell NAT box that will hand out Ips and take care of the PPPOE stuff.

Finally, my Linux friend has been experimented with different kinds of Linux kernels under Gentoo recently. and he's trying to get a Speakup kernel to use Festival Light. I read on the Web this is in deed nowadays possible. Would be great to get this working.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila@mail.student.oulu.fi)
Accessibility, game music, synthesizers and more: