system security

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 05:50:00PM +0300, Veli-Pekka Tatila wrote:
> True, speaking of which, how do I let some non-root users install some
> Debian packages? Isn't it pretty unpractical if maintaining a large system
> and you'll always have to call someone with root previliges to be able to
> install anything at all?

Just letting anyone install system wide packages is a bad idea.  This
approach is one of the important differences betwene Windows and Unix
systems.  It's possible for users to install programs in their home dir,
but the programs run with the privilege of the user.  This means they
can't hurt the system, just the user's own files.  This is a good way to
make sure a system with a lot of users stays stable and secure.
Besides, you are still playing with a new system.  I rarely install
packages any more because all the things needed by me and my users have
already been installed.
> A bit like Swing in that regard, I suppose. Wasn't Sun also implementing
> GTK accessibility or something?

Yes, a lot of Gnome accessibility work seems to be done by Sun employes.

> On a side note again, I found this Gnome usability report very interesting.
> A really enlightening read that clarified to me what is ment by good
> usability and how difficult it is to achieve in practise:
>
> http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/ut1_report/report_main.html
>
> I wonder how many of these issues have already been fixed in Gnome 2.6.

Lots have been fixed.  I've used Gnome for to long to say what was fixed
when.  Keyboard navigation works for most Gnome apps.  The complaint
about Gnome giving users to many choices isn't fixed because it is the
way things are in Linux.  One of the good and bad points about Linux is
it's choices.  If you post a problem on a Linux list, you are likely to
get several responses with solutions.  The solutions will likely use
different programs and take different approaches to the problem.  You
get to decide which one will work best for you.

> >tricky. Cause alt arrow left/right is already used to switch
> >next/prev vt.
> Well it could be some other key as well. THe only thing you'd have to do is
> to remove the restriction that in line-oriented input like in the console,
> you cannot move from one line to another.

Actually, alt left and right arrows switch betwene work spaces in Gnome.
Just like alt function n won't switch to console n from the X
console.

Hope this helps.
          Kenny