Re: Installation question

"Tom Masterson" <kd7cyu@yahoo.com> writes:

> Please do not ignore this question.  I admint I'm a bit of a newbie but we
> all were once so...
>
> I am trying to set up a cdrom install which comes up with brltty running.
> I think I have figured out what to do to do this but I can't figure
> out how to make a bootable cd.

First of all, if you think you have figured out how to do this,
could you elaborate a bit what exactly you think the right way is?
BRLTTY was actually included in the standard CD builds of debian-installer
until recently a bug in mklibs forced it to be removed temoporarily.
So if you build yur own cdrom initrd/image set from the d-i CVS build/
directory, and include brltty-udeb in build/pkg-list/cdrom/i386, it will still
not work, since mklibs will break while building the images.
I am trying to clear this issue with Dave Mielke by rewriting
substantial parts of BRLTTY to work around this problem, and also further
reduce the overall size of BRLTTY.
There is a bug against mklibs which includes a (ugly) patch to
/usr/bin/mklibs which circumvents the brltty related building problem.
However, if you managed to do that, there is still a remaining problem.
On my test machines, the loading of the framebuffer modules (which happens
by default on the cd images) somehow disables brltty's ability to read the
screen content.  Not yet fully tracked down.  So you would additionally
need to remove the framebuffer udeb modules from pkg-lists/cdrom/*.

> I have to use a windows machine to create the cd as my linux machine
> doesn't have a cd-writer on it and when I go to create a bootable cd
> the program (roxio) asks me what type of emulation too use and what
> boot iamge to use.  THe emulation choices are: floppy (a.44 or
> 2.88), hard disk, and no emulation.  I have too tell it where to
> find a boot image.

The boot image would be the file cdrom-image.img in build/dest/
of the debian isntaller CVS tree, after you built the cdrom image.
And the emulation would be 2.88MB, AFAIK.

However, note that you can also create the full iso image on
your linux box with the usual UNIX tools (mkisofs and friends)
and copy it over to your burner machine.  You can then burn the isoimage as a whole.

--
CYa,