Re: FYI: Debian, Knoppix/Oralux and Emacspeak

jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl (Janusz S. Bień) writes:

> On Mon, 11 Aug 2003  Mario Lang <mlang@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> I am a little bit confused towards what your actual question is.
>
> This is the question:
>
>         > jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl (Janusz S. Bień) writes:
>
>         [...]
>
>         > > Do you have any suggestions to try?
>
>> You seem to have problems getting eflite to work with emacspeak.
>> However, as far as I could see, you did not include anything which
>> might help us with figuring out what your actual problem is.
>> Could you at least try and give a concret problem description?  What did
>> you exactly do and what was the result?
>
> I followed Chassell's instruction and failed:
>
>          >> On Mon, 4 Aug 2003  "Robert J. Chassell" <bob@rattlesnake.com> wrote:
>
>         [...]
>
>         > >> >          apt-get install emacs21 emacs21-el emacspeak eflite festival
>
>         [...]
>
>         > >> >     After running `apt-get', you should be able to run Emacspeak by
>         > >> >     typing
>         > >> >
>         > >> >          emacspeak
>         > >> >
>         > >> >     in a shell.
>
>         > jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl (Janusz S. Bień) writes:
>
>         > > emacspeak/eflite installed from Debian unstable package is mute on
>         > > my computer.
>
>         [...]
>
>         > > On 05 Aug 2003  jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl (Janusz S. Bień) wrote:
>
>         [...]
>
>         > >> Unfortunately, not always it is so simple. For example, it does not
>         > >> work for me (Knoppix-based Debian unstable).
>
>> Maybe people can help you then.  Of course, it would even be better if
>> you could file a proper bug report against the package which does not
>> work correctly for you, in this case most likely eflite.
>
> I don't know what is the culprit.
You only say eflite is mute.  Could you give a bit more info what happens?
If you launch eflite by hand, does it speak:
# /usr/bin/eflite
q { hello world! }

This should speak hello world.

>> Last time I verified it, after installing eflite and emacspeak,
>> emacspeakconfig does offer eflite as a speech server, and if choosen, works
>> correctly.
>
> Is emacspeakconfig run automatically during packet installation?

Yes

> I don't think I have been asked such a question.

You think?  It would be more useful if you could be more concret.
emacspeakconfig is executed automatically after emacspeak was installed.
The problem is that eflite needs to be installed before emacspeak so that
emacspeakconfig can find eflite.  If you installed eflite after emacspeak, you
can still call emacspeakconfig by hand, and reconfigure emacspeak for
eflite.

> If it is a user who is to run emacsconfig, then Chasell's
> instruction is incomplete and misleading.
No, the user can, but doesn't have to run it manually.  For criticism about
Chasell's texts, please contact him.

--
CYa,