Re: Progress on Debian Academy?

Hi All,

I was planning on writing a lengthy email about my interest in Debian Academy, especially vizaviz packaging, if that helps.

I will just touch briefly on what I planned to cover.  Due to difficulty remembering things, and an interest in AI, I'm interested in note-taking systems and also, formalizing the subject matter of those notes into a finer-grained representation than I assume a Moodle course is, more applicable to an Intelligent Tutoring System, via a Knowledge Representation and Reasoning system (like this: http://www.ai.sri.com/project/SHAKEN ).  I assume further that a fine grain representation would be reducible to a Moodle course, but not the other way around.

The formalization depends on tracking the various Debian documents over time, and formalizing certain versions.  The goal of formalization is also to speed up the process of automating the tasks, via a planning system.  I held off on sending an email right away about this because it may seem too large in terms of scope, so I set about trying to get some more progress made so I could point to examples.

I am also interested in obtaining/creating an English translation of Mechtilde's packaging guide.  I'm interested in dpb for auto-packaging.  I am personally more interested in a rule-based approach to autopackaging than a system based on shell-script, but given that dbp is state of the art for this domain, I am willing to focus on it (at least until I make tangible progress on the rule-based approach.  This progress depends on progress in the LOGICMOO project, which has an English to Logic translation system I wish to use to help bootstrap the rule acquisition, and many other tools.  Fortunately LOGICMOO is either done or almost done with enabling CI/CD which will enable it to make more TDD progress.  Since LOGICMOO was experiencing too many regressions without CI/CD to ensure that the author did not have to play whack a mole with the regressions).

Currently, I am focused on getting tools for the follow problem domains to work before I attempt the codifyication of the Debian packaging documentation:

Self-Discipline/Todo/Scheduling/Note-Taking.

I have todo and scheduling systems largely built.  But need to improve upon them.  Self-discipline is currently in the requirements elicitation phase.  And Note-Taking, I have not found a suitable system yet, having looked at Org-Roam, Emacs-Zettelkasten, FreeX, and some others.

So I'm currently writing the beginning of a KRR-based Zettelkasten which works on top of my cyc-mode with OpenCYC.

I need the self-discipline system in order to follow through on a project of the scope of translating the dpb documentation from German to English.

I apologize if this all was TMI, but it just gives a bit of background on where I personally stand with Debian-Academy, dpb, etc.  I just wanted whoever to know that I am enthusiastic about Debian-Academy and dpb, and that it's just taking some time to get everything going, fwiw.

Best,
Andrew

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 4:43 PM jathan <jathan@debian.org> wrote:
On 22/09/2021 10:11, Dominik George wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 11:20:17PM +0200, Dominik George wrote:
>> when reviewing Teckids' infrastructure costs, we were wondering what
>> the state of Debian Academy is. From the outside, we cannot see any
>> progress on contents in Moodle.
>>
>> If someone could give a short update on the agenda and estimation when
>> a fair amount of courses will be available, that would be much
>> appreciated.
>
> As this e-mail went unanswered for over a month, and we could find no
> progress on Debian Academy, we will shut down the debian.academy.net
> machine on 30th September.
>
> If you intend to make progress on the project some time in the future,
> please let us know if we can help out again.
>
> Cheers,
> Nik

Hi Nik,

Thanks for your Email and for all your support during this time. How
much does it cost Teckids to keep the Debian Academy virtual machine
running per month? Can I help by paying its cost so that it doesn't get
shut down and stays with what it currently has?

Regards
Jathan

--
A permissive license would only be more "free" than a license like the
GPL, when a society that allows slavery be considered more free than

--
Andrew Dougherty
Independent A.I. Researcher