Re: Project help - adding courses to moodle

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the welcome. I hope I can help the cause (I'm a Debian
advocate myself as of a couple of years ago, so I've been waiting for
this kind of opportunity).

I'll answer your questions to the best of my ability.

 > 1. People create courses,  and learn Moodle as they go (probably not,
the best way)

I agree, not ideal. However, teaching someone Moodle from the ground up
is always going to be tricky, unless they/we either have plenty of time
to scour the Moodle documentation, tutorial videos etc., or have someone
experienced to teach them. I have some experience, so I'll provide as
much guidance as I can but I mostly work in the areas of writing
content, designing and developing them (more on my preferred authoring
tool below).

 > 2. Create and collate content e.g documents, weblinks, video, sound
quizzes etc, and then work with anyone like Sam with Moodle / teaching
expertise to put the courses together.

This is what Moodle is great for and we may only even scratch the
surface of its potential. Aside from the basics like adding course
content, resources, quizzes etc., you can take things a step further and
create custom learner pathways which themselves could contain a range of
courses. An example might be a learner pathway for a new Debian
developer, or one for someone looking to focus on Debian
marketing/outreach/advocacy.

 > 3. Is it possible to have more than 1 person as full course editor?

I've had some experience with roles, such as being admin in order to
fully build and maintain the workings of a course/program, switching to
learner role to test etc. One of my main professional projects this past
year has been to revamp a large health and safety elearning course, take
it through lots of quality assurance, and then finally upload it to our
company LMS, adding various activities, fine-tuning the learner pathway,
module completion rules etc. (happy to discuss specific areas more if
needed). There are typically certain people who will be assigned certain
roles depending on the course, e.g. graders, editors, teachers etc. The
fine details of role permissions will really depend on the setup of the
Moodle instance itself and what is collectively decided is best going
forward. I believe multiple people can be assigned course editors and
could edit a course simultaneously (there would have to be clear
communication if this were to happen, in case of content being
overwritten etc.)

 > 4. How do we add a 2nd person, or do admins have the rights to edit
courses anyway?

Yes as far as I know admins have full permissions to edit courses,
customise themes, enrol users etc., though currently I'm not sure how
many admins there can be. This info would be easy to obtain from
Moodle's docs.

Just a final note about my own recommendations for authoring tool
software: I highly recommend everyone on this list look into Adapt
(https://adaptlearning.org) (https://github.com/adaptlearning). The
Adapt community is also active on Gitter, which is soon moving to
Matrix/Element. I can provide more links if needed.

Adapt is GPLv3 and is one of the most respected tools for elearning
authoring. It's the only tool I use for my own courses so I know plenty
about how to use it. It doesn't take long at all to get set up on a VM
or dedicated server/VPS (running Debian or Ubuntu). I'd be happy to
share my knowledge with the wider team if they wanted to consider using
it for some Debian Academy courses.

Sam

--
IRC: syntax_