Re: Updated installation images for Debian Ports 2023-06-06

Hello Michael!

On Tue, 2023-06-13 at 18:00 +1200, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> AFAIR update-initramfs -u only replaces the /lib/modules directory
> structure in an existing initramfs image, and leaves the rest of the
> files unchanged. But I admit I haven't tried that on installer images...
>
> If that fails, manually unpacking the image and repacking using cpio
> after replacing modules (or adding any) could be another option. That
> should work (though I'm not sure whether module dependencies generated
> on a non-m68k system will work).
>
> Modules that debian-installer does not know about would have to be
> loaded manually from a shell (if that is still supported).
>
> What am I missing here?

This isn't about the initrd missing one or two files, it's about the initrd
and the kernel completely mismatched to what's on the archive mirrors.

As I have explained in my other mail, the problem is that when you build a
d-i image using a certain kernel from the archives, it stops working the
moment this kernel is no longer in Debian unstable.

The reason for this problem is that the network installer (not to be confused
with the NETINST CD image), loads additional kernel modules from the mirror
unlike the NETINST CD image which ships all these files on the CD.

The network installer can only ever work properly when used with a static
archive mirror that you find in stable or partially testing distributions.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer