Re: Debian 11 installation attempt / walkthrough

Hello Adrian,

On 23 Dec 2022, at 9:29, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> Hello Carsten!
>
> On 12/23/22 09:19, Carsten Strotmann wrote:
>> Issue is now solved, Stefan is installing the latest Debian 11.
>
> Nice. Could you assemble a list of issues that you ran into that
> we can address them if necessary?

the issue was faulty network hardware, there is (from my point of view) nothing what the Debian installer or the Linux Kernel could do differently. Once we had a working network card in the system, the Debian installer worked as intended.

We've selected the "ne" network card module (the NetUSBee was not detected automatically), then the machine got an IPv4 address and the installer started to download and install the system.

I personally would like to see IPv6 in the installer image (if space permits), as IPv6 SLAAC is more simple than DHCPv4 and might be a good alternative if DHCPv4 fails (many Debian mirror server provide IPv6, and also many users have IPv6 natively at home and only tunnelled IPv4 = IPv4-as-a-service).

Greetings

Carsten