Debian 11 installation attempt / walkthrough

Hi

in this thread i'll write down my experiences and will ask questions to the small things that can stop one from finishing the Debian setup process.

Machine: Atari Falcon, 14 MB ST RAM, 512MB TT RAM (Amiga users:
read 14MB Chip, 512MB fast RAM), MC68060 RC CPU, Floppy, HDD, DVD-writer
EtherNat NIC, Supervidel (GFX upgrade, supports DVI and VGA output of the native Atari screen modes)

i started by burning the Netinst ISO on my PC, put it into the Atari and boot into TOS, mounting the DVD and copying kernel, initrd, bootargs and bootstrap executable into one folder "Debian" on the TOS C: drive. The file bootargs has been modifed: removed -s parameter (kernel into ST RAM, it runs slower with that) and corrected the kernel filename to use 8+3 like TOS does.

The HDD has 4 primary partitions: 1GB TOS, 2 20GB LNX, and a 2GB swap,
created with HDDriver.

Step 1
------

i restarted the Falcon with Control held pressed and then executed bootstra.tos. After pressing Return the linux kernel takes over the Atari and soon the bootmessages scroll over the screen. A few moments later the D-I Debian Installer starts.

First i am prompted to choose language, location, keyboard layout.
Then the hardware detection detects installation medium CDROM. Different to my attempt a few years ago, this works flawless now.

D-I then loads some components from the CDROM. This takes a few minutes.
Up to this point, everything went as expected.

Step 2
------

After D-I detects the network hardware it fails to configure it using DHCP. I did remember that the EtherNat interface card i use only has a soft MAC adress that needs to be set after every powercycle.

So i used the Shift+Control F2 to open second console.
on the busybox shell i use 3 commands:

ip link set dev eth0 down
ip link set dev eth0 address aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
ip link set dev eth0 up

now the EtherNat has a valid MAC address (i randomized it from the example) but still D-I fails to DHCP. I need to fiddle around and find the problem here. Any hints welcome, i will make sure its not a hardware
issue in the meantime.

Greetings,
Stefan