Re: Debian 11 installation attempt / walkthrough

Hi Stefan,

On 21 Dec 2022, at 14:54, Stefan Niestegge wrote:

> So i used the Shift+Control F2 to open second console.
>
> on the busybox shell i use 3 commands:
>
> ip link set dev eth0 down
>
> ip link set dev eth0 address aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
>
> ip link set dev eth0 up
>
> now the EtherNat has a valid MAC address (i randomized it from the example) but still D-I fails to DHCP. I need to fiddle around and find the problem here. Any hints welcome, i will make sure its not a hardware
>
> issue in the meantime.

1)
you could try to work around the DHCP issue by setting a fixed IP address for the installation run:

ip address add 192.168.1.10/24 dev eth0
ip route add default via 192.168.1.1

where "192.168.1.10/24" is the IP address of the Falcon machine and "192.168.1.1" is the default gateway address (router).

2) what does "dhclient -v eth0" report?

3) you could look at the DHCP traffic from the machine on a different console screen:

tcpdump -i eth0 port 67 and port 68

(not sure if tcpdump is available, else, because DHCP requests are broadcast messages in IPv4, running "tcpdump" on any other Linux or BSD machine in the same network segment should also show the requests and responses).

4) Use IPv6 with SLAAC :)

Greetings

Carsten