RE: Update Debian Ports installation images 2021-04-14

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz:
> Please note that there are two IDE drivers for the Gayle controller in
> the 5.10.x kernel used in Debian unstable. The legacy IDE driver called
> "gayle" and the new driver "pata_gayle". The legacy IDE drivers will be
> dropped with the kernel 5.14 release [1].
>
> So, you can try to blocklist either the old or the new driver on the
> kernel command line with "modprobe.blacklist=gayle" or
> "modprobe.blacklist=pata_gayle" [2].

Great! I tested "modprobe.blacklist=gayle" as kernel argument and it loaded the new driver. With pata_gayle, emulated IDE CD drive was automatically detected (didn't happen with gayle one) and there are no more seek errors on the console.

With this, I can remove the A2091 SCSI emulation and use only A600/1200/4000 IDE emulation that is closer to the hardware I own; not mention built-in IDE is far more common than SCSI controllers.

Thanks for pointing it out!

> I haven't installed on a real Amiga for a longer time (around 2015/16).
> But I know that installation works fine on Aranym. I never managed to
> install Debian inside WinUAE, so chances are the emulation is still
> buggt.

Sadly, the new IDE driver didn't make any difference regarding the base-passwd package, it will give a segmentation fault again. I have seen that Aranym emulates 040, I will try a 040 setting on WinUAE (currently using 060).

> If you really used the actual hd-media images [3], you need to put the
> ISO image at the top-level directory of the hard disk that you booted
> the hd-media images from [4]. But I haven't tested hd-media images
> myself before.

I tried the hd-media, putting the ISO image on the top level of the AmigaOS system partition (AFFS), loading and booting the kernel from her, but d-i was not able to continue as it was unable to mount the AFFS partition, furthermore, there was no pata_gayle driver, just the legacy one.

Something I also tested was the image at [1]. In that image d-i says it has to run on low memory mode.

Thanks for the clues,
Carlos

[1] https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/debian-installer/2021-06-06/m68k/