RE: Update Debian Ports installation images 2021-04-14

More progress made :)

> > It looks like it has something to do with the harddisk size. I did
> > another test with a 2GB harddrive, 512 MB AFFS and the rest free. This
> > time the partition tool was able to detect the partitions and create
> > the new ones [2].
>
> I was able to overcome the issue this way: I removed every partition on
> the HDD except the AFFS boot one and let the d-i repartition the rest of
> the drive. That worked well, shows my full partition scheme and let me
> select the partitions to format, filesystem and mount points [1].
>
> Afterwards it proceeds to install the base system, but eventually hangs
> up in one of the "Retrieving xxxxx" packages, never going beyond 6% due
> to seek errors on the CD-ROM through A1200 Gayle IDE driver (I guess due
> to something odd in the emulation).

I gave up with the hd-media initrd, so for the time being I don't know how I could install the system on a real Amiga without preparing the HDD on the PC via WinUAE.

I was able to overcome the IDE CD drive errors by configuring WinUAE to emulate the Commodore A2091 SCSI controller and attaching the CD drive to it. This was automatically detected by d-i and the install progressed nicely without any seek errors.

The next problem I am facing is a very specific one in the Install base system stage, in the base-passwd package, that after "Setting up" dpkg stage in throws a segmentation fail due to a bad kernel trap [1][2]. I tested the install twice to make sure the error happen at the same exact point so it's not random. Once again, it could be related to emulation, so two questions:

	1. Has anyone in this list been successful installing Debian with the 2021-04-14 image on Amiga?
	2. If I were to try the image on a real Amiga without CD drive, what would be the procedure? As I told in previous messages, the hd-media initrd looks like the right one for this case, but where do I place the ISO image?

Regards,
Carlos

[1] https://i.postimg.cc/DZTmpvbt/amiga-linux-7.png
[2] https://i.postimg.cc/9XxFZtJ3/amiga-linux-8.png