Re: Kernel 5.15 Amiga PCMCIA apne driver not working

Carlos,

Am 09.12.2021 um 01:40 schrieb Carlos Milán Figueredo:
Hi again everyone,

While I figure out how to build a snapshot NETINST ISO, I decided to
give a try to the "nativehd" initrd. This is a interesting one, as it
brings up network on the very first stage of the d-i and download
installer components from the network. I wonder why is called
"nativehd" and not "netinstall" or something like that.

Anyway, on this initrd, the image is also broken because is missing
the Amiga (and Atari) network drivers [1], provided by
"nic-modules-${kernel:Version}", so I added that line to the cfg file
and built a new initrd. After booting the image on the real hardware,
d-i goes directly to network setup, but is not able to detect my
NE2000 PCMCIA cards [2]. If I manually select "apne" the kernel says
it has not found any PCMCIA card.

I have tested it with the following cards:

D-Link DE660+ 10 MBit Fiberline FL-4680 10 MBit

Both of them working fine on AmigaOS cnet.device and NetBSD/amiga
9.2; reported as compatible on [3]. I don't think the driver is
broken in current kernels as I am experiencing the very same on
Debian Sarge install with kernel 2.4. Maybe something is wrong with
my setup? Any ideas?

I know d-i is doing its level best to hide kernel log output from the user, but is there a way to look at the kernel log from the installer at all? I seem to recall log output was displayed on one of the virtual terminal screens.

Without seeing the kernel log messages from the module load attempt, it's impossible to tell what went wrong.

Look for a line containing "Looking for PCMCIA ethernet card : " in the kernel log messages.

The DE660+ is listed as 'should be supported' on the Amiga PCMCIA ethernet page you gave. The FL-4680 is listed as working in 2.4 so I wonder if something in the multiplatform ISA support breaks these cards.

Try building your installer kernel without support for Atari and Q40.

Cheers,

	Michael

[1]
https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/debian-installer/-/blob/master/build/pkg-lists/nativehd/m68k.cfg

[2] https://i.postimg.cc/PrDbCThX/IMG-20211208-051843.jpg
[3] http://www.g-mb.de/pcmcia_e.html

Carlos Milán Figueredo HispaMSX System Operator -
http://www.hispamsx.org - telnet://bbs.hispamsx.org -
https://calnus.com