Re: udev and friends not able to mount Atari GEMDOS partition

Hi Eero
Le 27/10/2020 à 14:54, Eero Tamminen a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> On 10/27/20 12:19 PM, Emmanuel Kasper wrote:
>> Partitions smaller than 32M, are indeed formatted as FAT16 by GEMDOS.
>
> Formatted by GEMDOS?
>
> Hard disk support in Atari TOS requires separate
> hard disk drivers.  Those have utilities for
> hard disk formatting, TOS supports only formatting
> of floppies.
>

>> disktype /dev/mmcblk0p4
>> Partition 4: 12.04 MiB (12619776 bytes, 24648 sectors from 139490)
>>    Type "GEM" (Standard GEMDOS)
>>    FAT16 file system (hints score 3 of 5)
>>      Volume size 11.98 MiB (12558336 bytes, 12264 clusters of 1 KiB)
>>
>> This is not a problem whatsoever for Linux: those small FAT16 partitions
>> are handled correctly by fsck and mount, without forcing a fat type or
>> option, and are working correcting in TOS too.
>
> There are many historical hard disk drivers and
> formatting utilities for Atari.  I think the only
> still maintained (commercial) one is HD Driver
> (hddrutil.app):
>     https://www.hddriver.net/en/
>
> But in theory users might still have hard disks
> formatted by the older hard disk programs like
> Cécile (cc_tools.app), ICDPro (icdfmt.prg), CBHD
> (cbhdconf.app) or Atari's AHDI (hdx.prg).
>
> (Older versions of them may also have formatted
> hard disk slightly differently.)
>
> Which of the Atari hard disk formatting utilities
> you tried?

Ha, I did not know that the FAT16 support was coming from the hard disk
driver !  I used AHDI 5.0 in my test.

According to the Table in 4.9.1, in
http://info-coach.fr/atari/documents/_mydoc/Atari_HD_File_Sytem_Reference_Guide_v1.1b.pdf
all other hard disk drivers can also access FAT16 partitions < 32 MB.
I don't know if the other drivers would *create* FAT12 partitions in any
case, but since the above guide never talks about FAT12, I would be
suprised if they did.

> Do we still care about hard disks that have been formatted with native
> Atari SW, when user can
> mount them in a PC emulator like Hatari, copy
> files to safety and re-format the disk?

Personally I don't mind that much about which tool formatted the hard
disk, I was only pondering if we need code in the kernel to treat
smaller partitions as FAT12, when these partitions are created as FAT16
on the Atari side.

Emmanuel

--
You know an upstream is nice when they even accept m68k patches.
  - John Paul Adrian Glaubitz, Debian OpenJDK maintainer