Re: udev and friends not able to mount Atari GEMDOS partition

Hi,

On 10/27/20 12:19 PM, Emmanuel Kasper wrote:
Partitions smaller than 32M, are indeed formatted as FAT16 by GEMDOS.

Formatted by GEMDOS?

Hard disk support in Atari TOS requires separate
hard disk drivers.  Those have utilities for
hard disk formatting, TOS supports only formatting
of floppies.

disktype /dev/mmcblk0p4
Partition 4: 12.04 MiB (12619776 bytes, 24648 sectors from 139490)
   Type "GEM" (Standard GEMDOS)
   FAT16 file system (hints score 3 of 5)
     Volume size 11.98 MiB (12558336 bytes, 12264 clusters of 1 KiB)

This is not a problem whatsoever for Linux: those small FAT16 partitions
are handled correctly by fsck and mount, without forcing a fat type or
option, and are working correcting in TOS too.

There are many historical hard disk drivers and
formatting utilities for Atari.  I think the only
still maintained (commercial) one is HD Driver
(hddrutil.app):
	https://www.hddriver.net/en/

But in theory users might still have hard disks
formatted by the older hard disk programs like
Cécile (cc_tools.app), ICDPro (icdfmt.prg), CBHD
(cbhdconf.app) or Atari's AHDI (hdx.prg).

(Older versions of them may also have formatted
hard disk slightly differently.)

Which of the Atari hard disk formatting utilities
you tried?

Do we still care about hard disks that have been formatted with native Atari SW, when user can
mount them in a PC emulator like Hatari, copy
files to safety and re-format the disk?

	- Eero