Re: udev and friends not able to mount Atari GEMDOS partition

Hi,

On 10/27/20 5:59 PM, Emmanuel Kasper wrote:
Ha, I did not know that the FAT16 support was coming from the hard disk
driver !  I used AHDI 5.0 in my test.

According to the Table in 4.9.1, in
http://info-coach.fr/atari/documents/_mydoc/Atari_HD_File_Sytem_Reference_Guide_v1.1b.pdf
all other hard disk drivers can also access FAT16 partitions < 32 MB.
I don't know if the other drivers would *create* FAT12 partitions in any
case, but since the above guide never talks about FAT12, I would be
suprised if they did.

Do we still care about hard disks that have been formatted with native
Atari SW, when user can
mount them in a PC emulator like Hatari, copy
files to safety and re-format the disk?

Personally I don't mind that much about which tool formatted the hard
disk, I was only pondering if we need code in the kernel to treat
smaller partitions as FAT12, when these partitions are created as FAT16
on the Atari side.

One can use even Linux tools to create them.
See "man mkdosfs" -A & -F options.

	- Eero