Re: [Pkg-pascal-devel] Debugging FPC build issue on m68k

Hi,

On Thu, 20 Aug 2020, Abou Al Montacir wrote:

>> It turned out, our SVN trunk was broken for Linux-m68k, so I fixed that
>>  meanwhile, but FPC 3.2.0 was forked earlier to that breakage, so if
>> there's an issue it must be different. I'll get there, meanwhile but of
>> course any input is welcome.
>
> I looked deeper in the issue and it seems that it may be a bug in the
> initial compiler /usr/bin/ppc68k which is used to bootstrap the cycle.
> This compiler is of version 3.0.4+dfsg-23.

Thanks for looking into this!

Yeah, 3.0.4 is a very early version for m68k (after the m68k backend got
revived), and the 3.0.4 was maybe the first ever version which really
worked on Linux-m68k. So I was actually kinda surprised it even worked to
that level, so it could be included in Debian... :) I would avoid fighting
with that if possible.

> So a possible way to overcome this is to perform a binary upload to
> m68k. However I was not able to generate packages by cross compilation.

I cross-built a recent 3.2.1 compiler from our fixes_3_2 branch (this will
be released as 3.2.2, eventually), I uploaded it here:

https://coderetro.net/temp/linux-m68k/

Can you try bootstrapping with this compiler binary? At least from FPC's
perspective, you shouldn't need anything else, to initiate a cross build
than a bootstrap compiler binary, and GNU binutils and make. Not sure if
Debian needs anything else.

If this also crashes, then I have to dig deeper to identify the problem,
because 3.2.x will be with us for a while, and I'd like it to be built for
Debian-m68k.

Cheers,
--
Charlie