Re: Using Debian funds to support a gcc development task

Hello,

Missatge de John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de>
del dia dg., 29 de set. 2019 a les 12:20:

> I communicated the issue to multiple mailing lists, so I assume the active
> m68k people have received my mail. But I haven't heard back from them.

In particular, have you reached to Andreas Schwab?
(> Is there kernel and toolchain support? At what level?
 > Yes. Andreas Schwab does glibc and gcc )

> > Is there any real m68k hardware available nowadays or is it all
> > virtual&emulated?
>
> Yes, there are the Apollo accelerators for one:
>
> > https://www.apollo-accelerators.com/
>
> And there are embedded open source Coldfire boards being developed:
>
> > http://sysam.it/cff_amcore.html
> > http://sysam.it/cff_stmark2.html

That looks like MMU-less hardware, would those devices benefit from
running Debian? I assume they are better suited for uClinux
distribution.

> What are the use cases for the port?
>
> The m68k CPU has still a very large hobbyist scene as it's a CPU with an easy
> to learn assembler. There are many hobbyist forums like a1k.org, amiga.org,
> eab.abime.net, www.atari-forum.com and so on with people working on open
> hard- and software projects around the m68k CPU.
>
> As Linus stated in his mail, the Amiga never dies:
>
> > https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/9/24/993

Reaching those forums or even organizing a crowd funding campaign
might be more appropriate.

> But I think the list on the page archive criteria is a bit dishonest as
> well when it asks "Are machines available to buy for the general public?"
> while I don't think an IBM Z mainframe is available to buy for the general
> public.
>
> I don't think anyone outside banks, goverments and very large companies
> can buy an IBM Z mainframe, yet Debian provides an official port for these.

The page is not dishonest, it asks for information, to be able to take
decisions.
In particular for s390x you can read on
https://wiki.debian.org/ArchiveQualification/s390x
It is really up to the teams if they take the burden of the work.

In other words, having hardware available is always great, however
there are special cases and teams decide to accomodate if they believe
it is worth it (at least that's my understanding).

Regards,
--