Re: Using Debian funds to support a gcc development task

On 9/29/19 12:07 PM, Hector Oron wrote:
>> So, would -project be willing to support our cause through Debian funds?
>
> I have been looking at
> https://wiki.debian.org/ArchiveQualification/m68k, I was expecting
> some answers to the questions proposed at
> https://ftp-master.debian.org/archive-criteria.html, it looks to me
> that ArchiveQualification/m68k wiki page needs updating.
>
> Have you also checked with m68k porters listed in that page? (I assume
> most of them are retired from m68k work)

I communicated the issue to multiple mailing lists, so I assume the active
m68k people have received my mail. But I haven't heard back from them.

> Is there any real m68k hardware available nowadays or is it all
> virtual&emulated?

Yes, there are the Apollo accelerators for one:

> https://www.apollo-accelerators.com/

And there are embedded open source Coldfire boards being developed:

> http://sysam.it/cff_amcore.html
> http://sysam.it/cff_stmark2.html

What are the use cases for the port?

The m68k CPU has still a very large hobbyist scene as it's a CPU with an easy
to learn assembler. There are many hobbyist forums like a1k.org, amiga.org,
eab.abime.net, www.atari-forum.com and so on with people working on open
hard- and software projects around the m68k CPU.

As Linus stated in his mail, the Amiga never dies:

> https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/9/24/993

But I think the list on the page archive criteria is a bit dishonest as
well when it asks "Are machines available to buy for the general public?"
while I don't think an IBM Z mainframe is available to buy for the general
public.

I don't think anyone outside banks, goverments and very large companies
can buy an IBM Z mainframe, yet Debian provides an official port for these.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz