Re: "BUG: soft lockup" on A1200; was: Re: Updated installation images for Debian Ports 2019-04-20

Hi Geert,

On 18/06/19 6:56 PM, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

Not sure whether the 'probing with STATUS instead of ALTSTATUS' message
is normal for the A1200. Geert might remember that sort of detail.
That comes from drivers/ide/ide-probe.c:ide_dev_read_id().
Looking at the code, it may be caused by the drive, too.

AFAIR there's no second drive on that hwif. You are thinking the master drive is keeping the IDE probe code confused?

I do not see it on A4000.

Never seen such a message on elgar either (though that's using pata-gayle these days). But if it's the generic probe code, using pata-gayle may not buy us much.

W.r.t. completing the probe, a log with dump_stack() added was sent
to me by PM, and I replied the below:

 From that log, I'm wondering if something is stuck in ide_probe_port().

Can you sprinkle some debug prints

     printk("%s:%u\n", __func__, __LINE__);

in ide_probe_port() and probe_for_drive() (drivers/ide/ide-probe.c) and retry?

Thanks!

FTR, I've just booted my A4000 with a v5.2-rc5-based kernel, and IDE
(Gayle, single drive) works. But old Debian, no systemd.

Good to hear that. Have you had trouble with 5.2 running out of memory at all? When I last tried 5.0rc3, I ran into memory allocation trouble (kswapd0: page allocation failure, order 0) with my old Debian system. Wonder what that was about - you said you only have 12 MB of RAM on the A4000?

Cheers,

    Michael

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                         Geert