Re: Centris 650 Debian 10 SID Installation

On 6/12/19 11:45 PM, Finn Thain wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jun 2019, userm57@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> On 6/10/19 9:32 PM, userm57@yahoo.com wrote:
>> Here are a few observations and comments:
>>
>> 1) Approximate times were as follows:
>>    a) 30 min - from initial setup to prompting of a Debian mirror.
>>    b) 4 hrs  - from start of scan of Debian mirror to "popcon" prompt.
>>    c) 5 hrs  - from "popcon" prompt to completion of loading packages.
>>    d) 3 hrs  - from selection of "openssh server" and "system utilities"
>> to completion of installation.
>>

> That sure makes debootstrap look good. On fast amd64 system packages are
> unpacked a lot faster, of course. Stage 2 still happens on the target m68k
> system. The --include and --exclude options might be helpful if you're
> changing over to sysvinit or openrc.

Indeed.  Hopefully, I'll only have to install it once (well, once for
each release, or use debootstrap in the future).

>> 4) After booting into a backup partition (Debian 3.1) and backing up "/"
>> and "/usr" from the new installation, and then restoring everything to a
>> single "/" filesystem, the new system booted using the kernel (and
>> initrd) that were created during the installation.
>>

> How did you avoid the ADB keymap problem?

I didn't.  I just used a serial console.  I'm hoping to fix that later
(see below).

> It will be interesting to see how much more quickly you can boot this
> system using openrc or sysvinit. (I see that the 450 seconds logged here
> includes the 100 second delay caused by CONFIG_CRYPTO_DH; you can avoid
> that by adding initcall_blacklist=dh_init to the kernel parameters.)

It was somewhat of a long process to switch from systemd to sysvinit.
Apparently, systemd has to be running for the switch to happen, so it's
not good enough to just boot using "init=/bin/bash" and bring up the
network and run "apt-get install sysvinit-core".

So I kept hitting systemd in the knees until it fell over and I could
log in.  The serial console always timed out, and the getty at the
framebuffer console was useless because of the ADB keymap issue.  But
eventually, after going several times back and forth between the systemd
installation and a backup Debian 3.1 installation to fsck the root
filesystem and kill off systemd parts, it eventually ran openssh server,
and I could log in and run the apt-get command from there.  It was slow,
since parts of systemd were still slugging away.

After a reboot (now into a sysvinit system), dbus seemed to hang, so I
disabled that in the scripts.  Not running
/etc/rc*.d/S01console-setup.sh and /etc/rcS.d/S03keyboard-setup.sh fixes
the ADB keymap issue.  But there's still a problem, and I'll have to
keep investigating.  Logins at the framebuffer console, serial console
and ssh all hang.  Control-C cancels the login.  On the serial console,
I see this:

-----
Debian GNU/Linux 10 calvin ttyS0

calvin login: root
Password:
Last login: Thu Jun 13 12:06:39 MDT 2019 on tty1
Linux calvin 4.19.0-5-m68k #1 Debian 4.19.37-3 (2019-05-15) m68k

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free
software; the exact distribution terms for each program are described in
the individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.

-----