Re: Centris 650 Debian 10 SID Installation

On 6/13/19 6:14 PM, userm57@yahoo.com wrote:
> ... But there's still a problem, and I'll have to
> keep investigating.  Logins at the framebuffer console, serial console
> and ssh all hang.  Control-C cancels the login.  On the serial console,

Sorry for the excessive messages. Logins appear to be fixed now, and I
can login at the serial console, the framebuffer console and via ssh.
To fix the problem (and I have no idea why this worked), I chroot'ed
into Debian 10/sid from Debian 3.1; "dpkg -l" showed these packages, or
at least their configuration files, were still installed:

systemd
libnss-systemd
libsystemd0

I could get rid of the first two, but to delete the third (systemd
utility library), I would have had to delete many packages, including
the Linux kernel.  So I left that one alone.  I also tried to delete
udev, and that failed because it also had too many dependencies
(including the Linux kernel).  At least I can use the init scripts to
keep udev from running (it's currently still running, so I may leave it
alone).

BTW, besides the memory needed for the kernel, processes are taking up a
total of 60 MB address space (VSZ) and 22 MB physical memory (RSS), as
reported by "ps aux".

-Stan