Re: Centris 650 Debian 10 SID Installation

On 6/9/19 10:16 PM, userm57@yahoo.com wrote:
> The mailing list seems to have munged my message, adding extra question
> marks.  I'm not sure why, maybe because my mail client formatted the
> message in HTML instead of plain text (sorry about that).
>
> Anyway, here it is again, hopefully this will be more readable.

Thank you!

> on a Centris 650 (136 MB, 4 GB root partition, 2 GB swap partition).

That machine has a 68040 clocked at 25 MHz. While it works general, it's
just very slow. I have the very same machine myself.

> My
> plan was to install and configure
> everything on the 650 (including replacing systemd with SysV init since
> systemd doesn't do well on slow,
> low-memory systems) and then create a filesystem image for my other,
> even slower, mac68k systems.

My Amigas run systemd without any particular problems. There is currently
a regression with 239 and newer that delays the login quite a bit.
Downgrading systemd to 238 fixes the problem. I haven't had the time yet
to debug this problem.

> After copying the kernel and initrd from CD to disk and booting with
> Penguin, the installation proceeded,
> though very slowly; at every re-draw of the screen, I could see each
> line being re-drawn.

You should try one of the 9.0 images and see if that makes any difference
so we can figure out whether there is a regression.

I tried twice
> using the stock CD-ROM drive and once using a more modern CD-ROM drive.
> In all three cases, installation
> of the basic system succeeded after about four hours, then stopped at
> the "Configure the package manager"
> menu -- "Your installation CD or DVD has been scanned ... Scan another
> CD or DVD?".  I selected "No" and
> hit return:  no response, even after several hours.  Hitting return
> repeatedly or trying to select "Yes"
> or "Go Back" also doesn't work, and eventually the arrow keys stop
> responding (though F1 and F2 still
> work to move the selection left or right).  Switching to an alternate
> console didn't seem to work (or I
> was doing it wrong; I tried several combinations of ctrl-alt-f1,
> ctrl-alt-right_arrow, etc.).

I'm not aware of any bugs in this part of the installer.

> After one of the failures, I tried booting into the new system.  Booting
> using the kernel from the CD
> didn't work -- there was a two-minute pause, which ended in a kernel
> panic after not finding a root
> filesystem (or any SCSI devices).  Maybe that kernel only works for
> installation using the accompanying
> initrd?

No. The kernel is 100% identical with that of the installed system. There
are no separate installation kernels. In fact, debian-installer is built
by extracting the kernel from the linux-image Debian package used for the
kernels for installed systems.

? I next booted into the new system using a 5.x kernel, thinking
> that I could use apt-get to
> install everything else, but the keyboard map appeared to be wrong, so I
> couldn't log in at the VGA console.

Yes, dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration should help with that.

> I next tried booting using a serial console (console=ttyS0,9600n8).

My preferred way of hooking up to any m68k machines. Works fine for me.

> After the expected slowness of
> systemd bringing everything up (about eight minutes), I see a login
> prompt on the VGA screen and on
> the serial console.  The keymap on the VGA screen is wrong, but appears
> to be ok on the serial console;
> however, attempting to login using root or the regular user account set
> up during installation fails
> ("Login incorrect").  Apparently users and passwords had not been
> configured yet when the installation
> hung.

You can try booting with init=/bin/bash to get a shell prompt.

>  Next I booted back into Debian 3.1 (using the same 5.x kernel) to see
> whether I could chroot to the
> new installation, add a new user and reset root's password.  That worked.

See above, use init=/bin/bash. Booting a modern system with such an old
kernel can result in unexpected bugs. I wouldn't do that.

> Booting back into the new installation, I'm able to log in as root at
> the serial console.  I don't see
> an installer log (I can send that if someone knows where it is or how to
> access it from inside the
> installer that hung).  The network is up, and apt-get works, but it
> doesn't find anything, even after
> adding these two lines to /etc/apt/sources.list:
>
> deb http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/ sid main
> deb-src http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/ sid main
http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/
> Looking in a normal web browser, packages appear to be available in
> "http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/pool-m68k/main/";, but apt-get
> doesn't appear to see
> anything.  Maybe there's a simple error in my sources.list?

An error message here would be useful. Do you have the keyring package installed?

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz