Re: Centris 650 Debian 10 SID Installation

On Sun, 9 Jun 2019, userm57@yahoo.com wrote:

> On 6/9/19 8:07 PM, Finn Thain wrote:
> > On Sun, 9 Jun 2019, userm57@yahoo.com wrote:
> >>
> >> Please see Centris-650.txt, attached. I suspect SCSI requires an
> >> initrd with this kernel.  It would probably work with a
> >> non-installation initrd.
> >>

> > Right. You'd need a post-installation initrd. The installer will
> > install the kernel package into the target filesystem and this
> > produces a suitable initrd in /boot. (But note that this is
> > inaccessible from the MacOS bootloader unless your /boot partition is
> > formatted with HFS).
>
> The post-installation initrd could be copied to MacOS and then specified
> in Penguin, same as the installation initrd.  If this were a user's only
> GNU/Linux installation, they would need to know to copy the initrd at
> the end of the installation or their new system might not be bootable.
> It might make sense for the developers to include a post-installation
> initrd on the CD.

I don't think that's possible. AIUI, the post-installation initrd varies
according to the kind of hardware you're installing onto and the selection
of packages that you install. And probably configuration choices made
during installation such as localization also.

> >> I see "2==3" when I type "root".
> >>

> > It seems that the old ADB keymap got enabled ("2==3" maps to "root").
> > This page has some explanation.
> > https://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/keycodes
> >
> > I guess a systemd unit loaded a bogus keymap with ADB keycodes. We
> > need to "get rid of the ADB keymap" like that document says. I'll have
> > to perform a full installation to figure out how to do that.
>
> A full installation that completes may fix the problem.

Seems unlikely. The switch from ADB keycode to Linux keycodes took place
over 15 years ago (before I started running Debian on Macs). I don't
understand how an ADB keymap got installed in the first place. I'll run
through an installation and see what gives.