Re: New Amiga drivers coming for Linux 4.18

Hi Charlie,

Am 22.04.2018 um 05:39 schrieb Karoly Balogh (Charlie/SGR):
>> I called it Cyberstorm 060 because the Linux board ID macro is named
>>
>> ZORRO_PROD_PHASE5_BLIZZARD_1230_II_FASTLANE_Z3_CYBERSCSI_CYBERSTORM060
>>
>> Happy to use the correct name for this particular board type, if someone
>> can give a definite answer. Is this simply a Cyberstorm I with another
>> ID, or something subtly different?
>
> Good question. So I went on The Internet, and found this:
>
> I think the "CyberSCSI" just refers the SCSI add-on of the CyberStorm MkI,
> (a.k.a. CyberStorm 040/060). This was used as a marketing name back in the
> days, as this page suggest:
>
> http://www.bigbookofamigahardware.com/bboah/product.aspx?id=1230
>
> (Although this is the MkII variant of CyberSCSI, for the CyberStorm MkII,
> but the MkI Amiga-side driver is also called cybscsi.device at least.)
>
> There's a Zorro ID search service here:
> http://amiga.resource.cx/search.pl?product=&company=&amiga=&intf=&mid=8512&base=dec&pid=11
>
> It doesn't include everything, but does seem to answer our question.
>
> It seems to me, that these boards in question have multiple Zorro IDs, and
> the 8512/11 ID identifies the more-or-less compatible SCSI component or
> add-on of several early phase5 boards, including the:
>
> * Fastlane Z3 (where the memory expansion component has the ID 8512/10)
> * Blizzard 1230 Mk I/II/III (where the CPU card itself has the ID 8512/13)
> * CyberStorm Mk I (where the CPU card itself has the ID 8512/12)

That matches what's implied by the above macro. I wasn't aware of the
additional CPU or RAM board IDs that would appear together with this ID,
thanks for clarifying this for me.

> Later boards only seem to have a single Zorro ID, so in case of the
> 1230/IV, 1240/1260, 2040/2060 and the CyberStorm MkII, the SCSI no longer
> has its separate Zorro ID. (I can confirm this for the 1230/IV, 1260 and
> 2060 case at least, as I own these hardware.)

Tuomas' driver was for the 1230/IV and 2060 only, that confirms your
description. The ID I see for the CyberStorm I on elgar is 8512/12
though, with no 8512/11 seen at all.

Unless there are early versions of this board that also identify as
8512/11, it appears that we won't see a CyberStorm I show up with that
ID (and as I understand you, we would see the driver bind to 8512/12
anyway, so all should be well).

Would be good to hear whether the 1230/II shows a 8512/13 in the device
list, but I guess the point is moot as we bind to 8512/11 there.

> So I would say the CyberSCSI/CyberStorm060 as a whole just refers to the
> CyberStorm MkI with the SCSI add-on in this case. So if you tested the
> driver on an MkI, then the "CyberStorm 060 SCSI" was tested.
>
> Anyone please feel free to fix me, if I got it wrong. :) And of course,
> thanks for the work on the driver, in either case. :)

No, I think your explanation is spot on. If anyone finds the driver
fails to probe their CyberStorm I board correctly (and only has a
8512/11 ID in their devices list), I'd like to know. Regrettably, the
driver won't print a message if an optional SCSI function is not detected.

Cheers,

  Michael