Re: Dropping old fdisk utilities

On 9/23/17 10:15 AM, Mac User wrote:
> On 9/23/17 12:29 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>
>> On 09/23/2017 03:12 AM, Mac User wrote:
>>> As just a typical user who wants things to work, I've been monitoring the
>>> discussion about mac-fdisk.  I've been using pdisk on Mac OS for years,
>>> along with mac-fdisk on mac68k and powerpc GNU/Linux distributions.
>> A typical user uses parted these days, not an ancient tool that has been
>> unmaintained for effectively 10-15 years. parted is the standard tool
>> these days, not some ancient fork of Apple's fdisk/pdisk.
>>
>> I don't understand why some people are so stubborn with their habits. I
>> mean, I kind of get that some people are too lazy to adopt to new tools
>> because it takes some extra time. But in this case, this isn't really an
>> argument, because parted is actually much easier to use, has a much more
>> comprehensive documentation and is actually used on almost every Linux
>> distribution out there.
>>
>> Adrian

It's not really helpful to call people lazy.  Partitioning disks is not
an everyday occurrence for a typical user.  For years, pdisk on Mac OS
(and NetBSD) was the best command-line partitioning tool by far for APM
disks. It's really quite frustrating to be installing a new GNU/Linux
distribution (on mac68k or macppc) and be presented with only a graphical
choice of partitioner, or some other choice that the maintainers think I
should be using because it's "easier".  Any tool is only "easy" once you
know how to use it.

If something no longer works, then by all means get rid of it or fix it,
but don't blame users for wanting to continue with what they're used to.

-Stan

.